Wednesday, August 17, 2011

zucchini fingers

I tried something new for dinner last night. I have gotten bored with a lot of our normal meals so I've been trying to spice things up in the kitchen.
We {ok, mainly me and C} LOVE summer squash. I mainly steam it with some garlic salt and pepper for seasoning and many times I will add zucchini to the mix {mainly because I don't know what else to do with zucchini}. I have heard of people making zucchini fries and have wanted to try them for awhile but J always gets weird when I try to start talking about new recipes so sometimes it is best to just surprise him with one when he gets home and sees it on the table for dinner.
Last night was no exception :) It was a planned veggie night but he thought we were just going to have regular steamed squash and zucchini {and honestly so did I, until about an hour before dinner} but I decided this was the night to try zucchini fries. Except, we don't really eat fried food and I definitely don't fry it myself if we do so I decided to call these "Zucchini Fingers" {J is very particular about calling things what they are- in a silly sort of way- so I had to come up with a crazy name like this}. I looked around for a few ideas on the internet and saw a lot about breading them with Panko breadcrumbs {who has those just laying around on hand? not us} So I just decided to make my own recipe.
Here's how this went down....

Cut the zucchini in half width wise, and then into eighths length wise

in the food processor add a few ritz crackers {I had 2 zucchinis so I used about 10 Ritz} and seasonings {I used garlic salt, pepper and parmesan cheese- I just eyeball this, shake a little here, a little there so I don't really know what to tell you for amounts, just taste it til you like it :)} and blend until mixture resembles coarse crumbs

 toss your zucchini with a little bit of olive oil

toss in ritz mixture

make sure the zucchini is evenly coated

place in a 9x13 dish and bake in the oven @ 425 for 25 minutes, shaking the pan half way

The verdict from J and C: YUMMY!!!
C even at the leftovers for lunch today. I am loving that she is on table foods now, she has become our little garbage disposal eating up whatever is leftover from each meal. They are the perfect portion for her little baby belly! 


Photobucket

No comments: