Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thoughts of Motherhood (from my mom)

This is what my mom wrote to go along with the crocheted blanket she gave me on Monday:

Thoughts of Motherhood (Or how crocheting a baby blanket is like being a mother)

Well, the first thing that comes to mind as you start motherhood or crocheting is, what will this blob turn out to be?? I'm not sure what it will look like at the end, there are so many possibilities, what if I mess up?

So what to do? You read the instructions. Of course, there are 550 directions on how to crochet out there, which one is the best? Frustration sets in. Trial and error are now your only way to get yourself going. Sometimes, you have to combine directions and use your best judgment regardless.

You try many different ways. Mistakes happen; sometimes you catch them and are able to correct them, sometimes it's just too late. You make choices based on what you know at that time.

Some days your stitches are tight; just like some days you will be more uptight than others.

Some days your stitches are loose; just like some days you will be more relaxed than others.

Some days the yarn just comes unraveled no matter what you do; some days are just not mean to go your way.

Sometimes knots can turn into a thing of beauty, warmth and love.

You will wonder if the project will ever get finished.

You will wonder if you have done enough.

You will wonder how much is too much.

In the end, all that matters is that what you have done was done in love - mistakes, knots, flaws and all.

Whether you use this emblem of love to cover your baby or as a shield as you nurse the baby, I hope that you will realize what this is supposed to represent. It is my gift of love to you and your family. When those long nights come and the baby refuses to stop crying, my prayer is that you will find comfort by looking at the blanket and know that this is part of being a mother. Your child is that ball of yarn yet to tie you in knots and become a person that is part of you. It is a project of which you will never be finished- you will feel like you can't do enough and yet at the same time be afraid of doing too much. I know that you and Jeremy are going to be wonderful parents!

I love you!!

****************************************

This is going to be framed and put in Campbell's nursery for sure. It is by far the most meaningful baby gift I have and will receive.

I hope that one day I can do something sweet and thoughtful like this for my daughter :)

1 comment:

Monique said...

That was beautiful!
You and Jeremy are going to be wonderful parents.